You are investing in your company’s future when you buy office furniture, and it’s important to get it right the first time. These five tips will help you create a clear vision and plan.
By establishing a plan first, you’ll be more prepared to choose a company that will fully support you in bringing your vision to reality, allowing you to focus on what matters: running your business!
Before beginning, it’s important to understand that no two businesses are exactly alike so no two workspaces should be alike. Make sure your workspace tells your story and functions specifically for your needs.
1. Create a clear vision for your office
What do you want your office to say about your company?
Your choice of style, color, fabric and layout paints a picture. Is your company friendly and creative or serious and informative? Is it reserved and composed or bold and adventurous?
Some other things you should consider in pursuit of a clear vision for your office include:
- What brand, tone and culture are you are trying to create?
- How important is a green environment?
- What future needs in terms of employees, technology and equipment do you foresee?
- How important is office flexibility?
- What balance do you need between privacy and collaborative space?
Answering a series of questions like this will create a clear vision for your office furniture and will help you make sure that your workspace tells the story that you want it to.
2. Focus on value
When you begin your research for office furniture or cubicles, make sure that you don’t confuse price with value.
Buying cubicles and office furniture is an investment that will hopefully serve you for many years. Saving money in the short term by choosing the lowest immediate price may result in significant costs, time and stress in the long run.
To avoid a short-minded pitfall, consider the following:
- Identify the support that will be available to you after the purchase
- Don’t assume a well-known brand provides more value. When comparing options, be sure to thoroughly review proposals.
- Check all warranties
- Know all the product specifications
- Ask if the company will provide your organization with a project manager to ensure the success of the project during and after installation
3. Recognize that employees are your key to productivity
Your office furniture and cubicles create a workspace that plays a huge role in attracting and retaining employees. This means that your purchase will increase your business’ productivity.
Top considerations to make when buying office furniture and cubicles that will create a productive and efficient work environment:
- Comfort is everything. Uncomfortable employees will result in unproductive employees
- Buying ergonomic office furniture is a greater value because it will alleviate stress, increase alertness, reduce time, decrease Workers Compensation claims and helps satisfy OSHA requirements
- Analyze worker flow: who works with whom, which teams collaborate, where should the water cooler be?
- Include sit to stand desks
4. Understand the logistics
When it comes to office furniture and cubicle shipping and installation, it’s all in the details. Being aware of these important aspects of buying office furniture and cubicles and having a project manager will save you time, aggravation and money.
So what details matter? Here’s a list of the top logistics you should be considering before purchasing the office furniture:
- Allow enough lead time to have your workspace completed when you need it
- Be ready for installation. Back up computers, purge files and pack everything
- Consider all current and future technology and equipment needs
- Plan for proper lighting
- Do not overestimate the amount cubicles mask sound, additional sound proofing may be valuable
- Buy the right size office furniture and cubicles. Know the space needs of employees based on the tasks they are responsible for.
Choose the right company
When buying office furniture and cubicles, the right company will make all the difference in the world. Choose a company that will lift the load from your shoulders so you can focus on your business.
Here are a few tips to review to help you identify the right company for you to work with:
- Be sure the company can take the job from design all the way through installation
- Check reviews thoroughly
- Ask for a project manager who is readily available to you
- Choose a company that has a proven track record
- Demand expert follow through during the entire process
- Ask why buying new office furniture and cubicles offers better value if you are considering the used option
The keys to furniture buying success
Meet with your team to discuss all these tips BEFORE buying your office furniture and cubicles. It’s helpful to put your answers to these tips in writing.
Create a clear vision of your workspace, considering function and the needs of your employees, focusing on long-term value, and making sure to understand the logistics involved. For more information on different cubicle types and terminology, visit our cubicle resource guide.
Choosing the right company
The right company will make you confident that they will handle everything allowing you to be stress-free while looking forward to the results. You should believe that they will give you their full expertise, support and attention no matter the size of the project.
Here at Cubicle By Design, we are always happy to help you in any way we can. Please contact us with any questions you may have.